We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Options on Control Panel is frozen

tallboy

Likes # 0

I just tried to access the Internet Options area of the Control Panel on my 64-bit Windows 7 PC and discovered that it is frozen, prevening me from accessing the 'Change your homepage', 'Manage browser add-ons' and 'Delete browsing history and cookies' areas of the Control Panel.

How do I unfreeze it? Other areas of the Control Panel seem to work OK.

All ideas welcom.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Operating system?

Version of IE?

Have you scannrd for virus and malware?

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat

As mentioned above the OS is Windows 7, 64-bit. I can't check the exact version of IE as it won't start (which presumably is caused by the same Problem) - but Windows Update reports that it has installed IE 10. (Possibly the initial cause of the problem looking at some of the posts from people who have had trouble going from IE9 to IE10)

Yes, I've run Kasperky to check for virus & malware and also run Microsoft's malware / virus checker - neither of which report any problems.

Any further suggestions as to a fix would be most welcome.

p.s. I did consider going back to an earlier Restore Point from a week or so ago. Although I know at the time I set Restore Points, only those I set yesterday and a (few from 2009) are listed. Most strange.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried right clicking it and selecting Run as Administrator?

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Hi again Fruit Bat

I just remembered when I saved the Restore Points I was using Registry First Aid. I just ran that program and selected a complete Registry Snapshot from 13 October. I ran that and Control Panel the problem went away. I was also able to start / use IE. (Which incidentally is IE 11.)

I'll now re-run Windows Update & Kaspersky Update in case any additions have been deleted as a result of using an earlier Restore Point.

Cheers

tallboy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September