We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I unlock an iPad?

mbc

Likes # 0

Grandchild playing on iPad denies doing anything-'It just happened'. Basically the pad is locked with a lock symbol showing showing at top of screen. Have gone through all usual re-setting and restoring procedures and iTunes says it is successful,but is still locked and cannot get configuration procedure started. First generation machine. Please help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

you will have to erase/restore the device, have you tried?

• Open iTunes on your computer

• Connect the iOS device directly to a USB port on the computer

• Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

• Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

• Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

• iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

Like this post
mbc

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat- done all that (3 times). iTunes says all is OK, but it is still locked.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is it a lock with a circle around it? If so all they have done is stopped the screen rotating. ipad3 discussion - but should be the same.

Like this post
mbc

Likes # 0

No circle, just a small lock at the top of the screen. I have successfully restored the machine, and re-installed basic software, ie without apps. The config screen appears, but I cannot move the slider.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does it go if you use the sleep/wake button?

Like this post
mbc

Likes # 0

Woolwell-no. Have just done yet another restore and update from recovery mode, and set it up as new iPad (ie factory settings) still locked on 'Location Services' screen, yet when I press on/off button the off slider works. The 'my iPad' icon appears in itunes, but when I click on it the icon disappears and itunes does not recognise that the iPad is connected. I must be doing everything correctly. Have tried Apple help site with no luck, have tried contacting Apple but am refused support as it out of time,

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

MBC, your best bet may be to do a search in the following forum,if you cannot find what you want then register and post your question.

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...