We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis True Image with Windows 8??

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Has anyone any knowledge how well or otherwise Acronis True Image works with Window 8. There are reports that it has problems with the new start-up protection within W8.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you use it from Boot with the rescue CD it should not be a problem as windows is not loaded until its booted,

PS you can use old versions of Acronis to do this to create backup Images

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

The Download Assistant for Windows 8 indicates that my current version of Acronis is not compatible. It also indicates that my current Windows 7 pc will not support the boot protection system. Reports indicate that the boot protection is built into the firmware of new pcs which tends to indicate that this protection is in or prior to the bios startup, not within Windows.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I looked into this earlier this year (with regard to Win7 rather than Win8) as I've been using ATI8 (with WinXP) for many years and been very happy with it.

Regardless of whether it would install under Win7 I thought it might be OK to use from the boot CD.

I never tested it out, but my investigation through up some question marks. In particular whether ATI8 would properly handle the NTFS functions used since Vista.

Of particular concern was how ATI might handle Junctions (see Junctions-1 and Junctions-2).

Although (as I understand it) Junctions have long been part of the NTFS specification, it was not at all clear whether (and how) ATI8 would handle these. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the risk for such a critical function as imaging.

I looked around for free alternatives and plumped for Macrium Reflect (see this thread for more on why).

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

There's also the matter of whether ATI8 will work with UEFI / GPT disks (as opposed to traditional BIOS / MBR disks). I cannot imagine that ATI8 will support UEFI / GPT and any new(-ish) machine may well be pre-configured to use UEFI / GPT.

Also, if one tries to install the likes of Win7 / 8 on a machine that has UEFI / GPT capability, unless one pre-configures an MBR disk (i.e. partitions it), the Windows Install will (try to) convert the disk to GPT (I know 'cos it happened to me).

BTW, I did not noticed earlier that you were the originator of the other thread that I referred to above.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Does this help?

click here

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Yes, I picked up on your suggestion for Macrium Reflect and am using it on my wife's new Windows 8 pc. I been using Acronis with huge success for many years and have recovered with it an many occasions. I'm using it on my Windows 7 pc. You may see another of my threads about Yahoo taking over my browsers, it's apparently a Yahoo Redirect Virus, and I've used Acronis to recover. I've used Acronis successfully so many times that I have absolute confidence in it. I won't know how good Macrium Reflect is until I need to recover my wife's Windows 8 pc. I was thinking of buying the Windows 8 version of Acronis as a belt and braces precaution.

Thanks Pine Man. You've answered my question whether Acronis will work with Windows 8

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I've restored both GPT and MBR hard disks with Macrium, without any probs. In both scenarios (i.e. for both GPT & MBR disks) I've restored the whole hard disk (i.e. multiple partitions) and also single partitions. All without issue.

I was put off the latest Acronis as I'd seen a number of reports of people having problems with it. Also, like so many apps now, it seems to have become bloated. All I wanted was software that would make images and restore them, with a decent workable bootable rescue CD facility; plus, ideally, the ability to mount and browse images (basically what ATI8 provides). Macrium Free fitted the bill.

The one point I'd make about Macrium is that I'd recommend making the boot CD using the WAIK (i.e. Windows Pre-installed Environment) option rather that the Linux option. The Linux option is rather restricted and clunky. Whereas the WAIK based option works very much like the installed software under Windows proper (albeit with some limitations).

Macrium have made using the WAIK option easier in more recent releases as one used to have to download a 1.7GB ISO from Microsoft and install WAIK from that. Macrium seem to have sorted something out now (with Microsoft?) and now have a much more compact download (presumably providing only the bits that Macrium needs) that comes direct via Macrium.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

I am successfully running TI 2013 on a W8 PC.

My copy of V11 wouldnt load so had to buy TI 2013.

W8 implements secure boot (TPM) for this a PC requires a UEFI bios. When running upgrade assistant on a PC equipped with a standard BIOS you are likely to get a message indicating that W8 cant be installed as secure boot is not supported however I have read that some have ignored this and installed W8 ok but cant comment on this.

It appears that on some new PCs it is not possible to turn of secure boot but in my UEFI bios I can and this is turned off by default so I cant comment on whether TI 2013 will have problems on a PC with secure boot turned on.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

I'm now using Macrium on my wife's new W8 pc and have made a WAIK cd. Batch, have you recovered using Macrium on a W8 pc. I'm not sure whether a GPT formatted disk implies W8.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

No, I've only used Macrium with Win7.

As I understand it (see Windows & GPT FAQ, scroll down to Windows Disk Support and see the 4th Q&A there), GPT has been fully supported since Vista ).

As to whether your wife's PC is GPT or MBR, assuming that it was supplied as a pre-built system (i.e. you didn't install the OS yourself), it will depend upon what the supplier did. I bought an Acer laptop earlier this year (with Win7x64 installed) and it was MBR.

If you go to Administrative Tools, Computer Management and select Disk Management. Then right click the grey panel at the left of the C: partition (the grey panel should say Disk 0), then select Properties. In the window that opens, select the Volumes tab. The Partition Style should be either "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" or "Master Boot Record (MBR)"

In any event, Macrium should just take care of it regardless of which partition style you have. Note that, to my knowledge, you can't change the partition style without reinstalling the OS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...