We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD Dead? Or Windows just won't install

louisjms

Likes # 0

Hello,

My laptop yesterday froze and so I left it for a while, and when I returned, it had booted to a silver screen (Starup repair, just without the menu). I fear the Hdd may have failed. I plugged it into my other laptop via a USB to SATA cable and no data showed up, you need to format this disk, parameters are invalid etc. After hours I finally formatted it into one single partition with EaseUS (NTFS) and it created a system reserved partition of 90mb. I have put it back into the original laptop (They're both Aspire 5733's) and tried to re-install windows. First time round I tried Win8.1, although it installed an booted to a black screen. I eventually gave in trying to fix that and tried to install Windows 8.1 enterprise (from work). That wouldn't get anywhere past "Setup is Starting". I gave in (again) and tried Windows 7 (which no, didn't get past "Setup is Starting". I put the hard drive in my laptop and installed Windows 7. It got up to "Completing installation", where it told me the disk image was corrupt. I checked the MD5 and it appeared fine. I just want to give up now (yet again) And help???

Thanks, Louis :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Be tempted to completely wipe the drive with something like Kill disk then retry to install windows.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If kill disk kills the hdd then you know you'll need a new hdd.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Although you have formatted the HD did you scan the HD to check it was OK. Even formatting a HD does not always rectify bad sectors?

If both your laptops are the same make/model why not try cloning the hard drive from the working laptop onto the formatted HD.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers