We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express Tools

Sebastian Ereira

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone has any tools that can repair outlook express dbx files. I have a client whose files have become corrupt and want to try and restore them. I know outlook has SCANPST which has always worked for me

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

I've used OEView before to view Outlook Express files. The version I have (from 2004) doesn't appear to be readily available anymore.

The latest equivalent as far as I can see is: Mail View. But I can't in any way vouch for it.

I've also found this Recovery Toolbox for Outlook Express, but can't comment on how good / safe it is.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Each Outlook Express folder has a database associated with it; thus if you have 20 folders you have twenty databases.

The databases have the same name as the folders thus the inbox folder has a database called inbox.dbx.

In these above cases the corruption is probably in the file "Folders.dbx". Which is the master index of the entire Store Folder and without it, Outlook Express cannot do anything, in this situation, the only solution is to delete the corrupt file from the Store Folder.

That will allow Outlook Express to start and to build a new "Folders.dbx" by re-indexing all DBX files it finds in the Store Folder.

Follow these steps to get the information lost:

1. Re-create your mail folder hierarchy by dragging folders into place in the Folder list. Note that any folder you have created to group sub-folders but that does not itself contain messages will not appear in the Folder list and so must be created again.

2. Re-download the list of newsgroups from each news account.

3. Reset your subscribed newsgroups and download messages again.

4. Reset synchronization options on IMAP and newsgroup folders.

5. Edit any message rule that moves or copies messages to folders other than the Inbox.

click here demo version will recover first 10 messages in each folder.

Like this post
Sebastian Ereira

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...