We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Yahoo scam - is there a good tutorial for removal please?

stugra

Likes # 0

You will recognise this!

My friend has given access to his laptop to a scammer this evening purporting to be from BT Yahoo and who had identified malicious software running on his computer.

My friend gave them access to his laptop by installing TeamViewer, so it has to be assumed that he has now got malicious software and data logging on his PC.

This is the same regular scam that occurs with others who claim to be from Microsoft.

My question is can anyone point me in the direction of a really good guide on how to remove any potential threats that could have been installed? I have removed malware (Malware Bytes) and viruses before, but I am nervous of helping my friend out and leaving something behind.

I have read on one site that I would have to do a complete reinstall of windows. Another site just says do a system restore and malware/virus stuff.

I would really appreciate some guidance from anyone who has been through this before.

Thank you.

On the plus side, he didn't pay for any services and has not logged on to any bank since the connection.

The laptop is now fully disconnected and shut down.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

System restore to before TeamViewer was installed and full anti-virus and malware scan. Change passwords for banking, email etc could be a good idea.

Like this post
stugra

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell

Reformat - reinstall is a bit OTT then??

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Microsoft advice for the MS phone scam A full scan with a good anti-virus and anti-malware not MS product. IMO a full reinstall is not required. Back up data though.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I wouldn't be happy at all with team viewer used by a thief. Lord knows what key loggers or rootkits are installed. If it was me, and for peace of mine, I would do a clean install. Just my personal thoughts.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Hmm got thrown out PCA and had to log in again. Typo, mine = mind.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...