We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB memory stick not showing up on pc

mart7

Likes # 0

My usb memory stick isnt showing up in "my computer"

In device manager it shows as a generic flash drive "this device is working properly"

In partition manager i get the message "the device is not ready",i use part man to format the memory stick to fat 32

Windows 7 operating system

Any help appreciated,ive had some problems with this previously but using partition manager to delete and reformat previously worked but not on this occasion

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

bump this up see if anyone has any ideas

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

It's probably the stick. I have four different makes and the TDK one does not work on my W XP laptop. It works on a Linux box, a W7 box and on my virtual systems.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

i am beginning to think that because i have had problems withis before,my other 2 sticks are fine

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Does it show in disk management? Try assigning it a letter.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

yes it does its assigned itself to G:

have changed it to f but still doesnt show in My computer and same message in partition manager,device not ready,thinking its faulty now as i have had this problem before but partition manager reformatted it previously successfully

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It might be that if the drive is empty then windows doesn't show it. I think the route is computer, organize, folder options and untick the box for hide empty drives.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......