We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting Rid of Yahoo in IE or Deleting IE & Re-installing

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Yahoo has grabbed my IE & no settings adjustments will get rid of it. I want Google as my home page but, although I make all the adjustments in Internet Tools, Yahoo always comes back as the home page. I've removed it from Add Ons, set Google as my home page, nothing works. Can anyone advise please.

Alternatively, can anyone advise on how to uninstall IE so that I can reinstall it. It doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which OS? IE appears in Windows features not as a separate program. But I very much doubt that an uninstall and reinstall will get rid of Yahoo. Have you checked for Yahoo in Add/Remove programs. But you may have malware. Try running Malwarebytes (free version).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also reset IE, tools, internet options, advanced tab, reset tab.

RegScriv , where do you browse to get these problems?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Removed it from the Toolbars yet?

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

I run Malwarebytes from time to time & I'll run it again. Yahoo does not appear in Add/Remove programs. IE tool/internet options/advanced tab/reset tab brings back Yahoo again.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Why are you not using the general tab to set your home page?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Click the Cogwheel,, at the top right of your screen, and select "Manage Add-ons"

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Under Add/Remove programs there is a little box at the top "Show updates" Tick this and then look for IE uninstall it and it will roll back to a previous version and reset home page etc. You can then allow it to update back to the newest version without it upsetting your homepage etc. I use this method when adware hijacks IE and follow it up with a full scan from Malwarebytes.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Malwarebytes full scan picked up around 40 malware items, around 12 were corruptions to registry keys. After Malwarebytes had removed them, none of my browsers would work; IE, Chrome & Firefox. Also, I had no restore settings in System Restore. I used Acronis to reinstate an image back to March 2013 & managed to recover successfully. I have found that my netbook is similarly infected. The only sites that I believe may have caused these infections are; the latest version of Advanced System Care, version 7, to which I had recently upgraded or possibly Amazon's Lovefilm, which I use on both pcs. Having re-instated my pcs I've taken a new Acronis image for both.

It's disappointing that Norton Internet Security didn't prevent the infection.

I'd be interested in your views.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Some insight to the rootkit virus click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wherever you've picked up the virus you've done it twice so must be a common download from somewhere.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED