We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what is causing my pc freezes?

Ornlu Wolfjarl

Likes # 0

Hello, i have a 2-year old custom built gaming PC with parts purchased from overclockers. it's been working fine, until recently when it started freezing on me.

My specs are:

Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FX (Socket AM3/AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard 2x G.Skill RipJaw 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - 16gb total XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz (Socket AM3) windows 7 ultimate

So, the screen will freeze randomly, usually when i play games, but lately it just freezes upon windows startup. if im in a game, the computer will usually not freeze completely... the game will still run, but im not able to do anything [not even ctrl alt del my way out of it], except restart or shutdown, using the power buttons on the case. as i said the game still runs, but pressing anything [mouse or keyboard] causes the sound to enter a high frequency repeat loop, so it sounds sort of like the blue screen of death sequence from the it crowd starting credits, only much louder and faster and longer [sorry, best way i could describe it]. in some games, the game stops running altogether and the ominous sound effect is constant, whether i press any key or move the mouse. when the freeze occurs on startup or the system is idle [happens very rare on idle], the system just freezes completely and no sound is generated. on bios boot, the issue also occurs but very rarely.

i've tried reinstalling all drivers, games and programs, removing any old driver traces, cleaning up my processes and startup, clearing the registry resetting the bios by removing the motherboard battery, cleaning the graphic card sockets, cleaning ram sockets, swapping the ram, using another power supply [same watts - 750w] and now formating my pc.

i dont know if the format has worked yet, as i just did it yesterday and im about to install the drivers, but my question is, could this be related to any hardware issue? has anyone any idea as to why this might be happening?

thank you

update: well, the format didnt work, pc keeps freezing without any drivers installed

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

I think you have done everyuthing except number 1

Like this post
Ornlu Wolfjarl

Likes # 0

thank you for reply. i've checked the fans and they seem to be ok. besides, my temperatures never exceed 55 degrees c, but i'll check again either way!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Based on specification information here, you are running at, or very near depending on sensor accuracy, your CPU's maximum operating temperature. I would suggest you clean your CPU cooler, thoroughly, now and, if that doesn't help, renew the thermal paste or upgrade to a better CPU cooler.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

(1).If your system wasn't over clocked it's running a little bit hot, with a good cooling fan it should be on 40°C-45°C even on 100% CPU use so please check the condition of the CPU fan if possible change to a better brand.

(2). Because you've reinstalled the OS any software conflict should be eliminated, so advise you downloading MemTest (google it) to test each Ram in turn.

(3).A failing HDD could have given you similar problem, download the HDD diagnostic tool from manufacturer & test it.

(4). Faulty GPU? Check the gx card in another system or test your system with a different working gx card.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

You have probably done this but in case not, remove the CPU fan and clean the heatsink.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes