We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer won't scan

daveac41

Likes # 0

My Epson Stylus 435W has suddenly decided not to scan. It prints ok, the cartridges are all renewed. I contacted Epson , but they just directed me to their Q & A pages - not much help. The error message states "communication error", which can't be right, as I can print OK .I have re-installed printer, but still no joy.

Any ideas, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

you need to uninstall everything to do with Epson

reboot

then reinstall the driver and software.

Also check Windows Imaging Service is started

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi FruitBat/\0/\/, Long time!

Tried the uninstal/reinstal but no difference. However, will try Imaging bit.

Thanks,

D

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

After using Uninstall in control Panel, it leaves files on your PC that is where knowing what and how to look for comes in, so that you can delete them. as one file may have got the configurations on it, this is the one that needs removing as also Regedit will have settings in it, though you uninstalled these need to be removed before reloading drivers. Scanner Driver is different driver to Printer Driver. Name of Scanner Drivers are called Twain Drivers

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi FruitBat,

Checked Imaging Service - seems to be OK. States that it "provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras" . My webcam is fine.

D

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Sorry Woodchip, missed your note. Am looking at it ASAP.

D

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You haven't said how you are initiating the scan.

Does anything on click here help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Test the scanner by scanning and copying direct -

Another thing that might work is to Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

1]: [click here

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Fruitbat, I tried ,as an alternative, to scan wirelessly.. Got same reaction. Photopcopying works OK.Will try USB Device view

Lotvic - I just followed scanning instructions,pressing the OK/Scan buttons via the printer's small instruction screen.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You should have Epson Event Manager installed on your PC. Open it, then Network Scan Settings check network scan settings is enabled and then try putting a new name in the box below.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

OK. So you've tried everything obvious. What OS are you using? Try this:- Turn off the device and disconnect it from the computer Uninstall everything relating to that device.
Reconnect the device Restart the computer. The computer should come up with something like "unknown device" and then give you the option of installing the new software for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...