We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Remote (wireless) USB hub options

stlucia2

Likes # 0

I wish to run a vinyl cutter in a separate room from my PC. I've been reading about wireless USB hubs, where a dongle in a PC USB port sends the signal to a receiver in the USB hub -- like the Belkin one advertised by Amazon click here But I can't find anyone who stocks one, unless I'm misunderstanding the descriptions in some of the other ads.

So, is what I'm describing now superseded by something better (Belkin web site reports that the one at Amazon is discontinued)? I already have a Netgear wireless router, so is there some way that this can communicate with some kind of USB hub to control the vinyl cutter?

I've also read about the systems that send the signal through the mains wiring, but I've also read that they're unreliable if not on the same circuit breaker -- and mine won't be. So any experience with these, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I've also read that they're unreliable if not on the same circuit breaker

fine as long as on same consumer unit i.e. main breaker not different miniature circuit breaker.

I have upstairs downstairs front and rear on four separate CCBs Homeplugs work fine anywhere in the house.

However the above is for ethernet or a remote wireless signal not for USB

I assume your vynal cutter is usb only?

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

The cutter I'm considering is the Silhouette Cameo click here, but I can't see if it has other connections apart from USB.

I'm not familiar with Ethernet -- is it used the same was as USB, assuming the devices have appropriate connectors?

I've just noted that the Cameo has a built-in SD card reader, so that may be a practical way of operating it remote from my PC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Looks like it only connects by USB non of the reviews mention using the SDcard see here some poor reviews note the Youtube video why not to buy.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. My interest is for cutting thin vinyl stickers and paint masks for model RC aircraft, so my patterns won't be as complex as in the video. I can't help wondering if the woman's cutting tool was blunt, the way it chewed up her card, or if the card was too thick for the machine. I can imagine that some types of craft card (we used to call them "sugar paper" --maybe they are still called that) seem like they would be pretty abrasive on any cutting blade. Anyway, it got "awesome" reviews on an RC model aircraft forum, so I think I'll go ahead.

But, back to my original question: The Belkin remote wireless USB hub seems to be just what I want, but why is it discontinued and seemingly not replaced by anything? Did it not work? Is there any other option for remote USB?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It may be simpler to connect the device to a laptop with the software installed :0)

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

That's true. I wonder if it will run on my very old Toshiba Satellite.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more