We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade NVIDIA GTX 560SE graphics

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

My son has a GTX560SE graphics card. For Christmas, he's looking to upgrade it. What would be a good upgrade (NVIDIA) that would give him worthwhile additional graphics performance for e.g. Battlefield 4 at a reasonable price? And: is he likely to find himself limited by the fact that he 'only' has an AMD Bulldozer FX4100 quad core processor (which we can't afford to upgrade at the same time as the graphics card)?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this site, Click here. Will give a fair benchmark of your GPU and CPU. CPU is good enough in my humble opinion. Then take notes on upgrading cards and find the cheapest that can do the job. Remember to search for the power usage of any card that you upgrade to as the minimum isn't good enough usually. 400W would mean 450W minimum for me and 500W would suffice.

Good hunting.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanksrdav13 - that's an interesting site. Anyone else have any recommendations? I haven't seen our gaming guru Chronos around for a while...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton , the forum member, which you speak of, is no longer here. Seeing an absence of replies I think you would be better off doing a bit of homework. I'm not a gamer so I can't give further advice but the site I linked to should help. Good luck.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Rdave13 when did that occur with chronos?

noticed for some time he was missing

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

mart7 , some things are taboo on these forums and the Editor does his job. What happened I don't know. Shame really but that's the way it goes. Must admit that FE takes some stick before the eventual ban comes along. Lord knows I've deserved being banned a few times here over the years .. but got away with it.

:)

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I guess so ,he did have his fair share of warnings though,yes its a shame

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Ian of northampton

i upgraded on the advise of chronos to a gtx 660 and couldn't be happier,bf4 is amazing using this card,the visuals are superb

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Please check the power required for this card, Ian in Northampton, you will need to open the case and physically check the PSU ratings on the label and the physical dimensions of a new PSU (if required) that will fit your case.

mart7 seems to be the best to advise you in this instance.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I sensed something like that might have happened with Chronos. He was a great resource - very knowledgeable - but was often quick to express his frustrations with the site. Shame.

Thanks both for your continuing help. rdave13: I'm fairly confident that the PC was originally fitted with a decent name brand, high wattage PSU - but I'll check.

Mart7: thanks - I'll check out the GTX660.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

If you decide on the gtx 660 this is a good deal you receive 2 new games with the card,assasins creed blackflag and splintercell blacklist,digital download i would presume

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do