We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transferring Office Licence to Another PC

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Can anyone advise on how I can transfer an MS Office licence from a pc that I'm ditching to another pc.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It depends on the version of Office, if you have an OEM version (preinstalled when you got the computer) it cannot be reinstalled. If it is a full retail version then just install from the disc. You will need to activate with the serial number from the CD box.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

It's a full version of MS Office for Students & Teachers 2003 on CD with a 3 pc licence. Problem is that I've installed it already on 3 pcs, one of which is on XP. This one I'm ditching for a new Windows 8 pc. I'd like to transfer it but dealing with Microsoft is a nightmare. The other possible alternative is to use an old copy of MS Office97, which doesn't have the restrictions on it - but will it work with Windows 8

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Assuming you have the disc and licence key, just install it on W8 pc. Report back if you have any issues.

If you run the transfer wizard it will copy the licence details across. Note you will need to download the correct transfer wizard for XP to Windows 8

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have moved my copy of MS Office for Students and Teachers 2003 several times onto different machines as I have upgraded them. I have had no problems with activating it by telephone although I have found that it is easier to get a response if you answer 1 to the question "How many PCs is this installed on." even though it is a 3 licence piece of software. I certainly have not found dealing with Microsoft a nightmare.

You might find that this link helps you

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Are you able to advise on the telephone number I have to ring. Looking at the info on these sites it's hard to see a telephone number

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If you uninstall it from the PC you are not going to use it on then there should be no problem activating it by phone for use on the new one.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

see if this is any help click here

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Ok, thanks guys. I'll install it on the new computer and see what comes up under the Activation process. Any problems I'll come back to see if you can help

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Cracked it. MS Office 2003 installed & activated. Thanks guys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow