We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to Install Windows Update

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

For weeks I have been trying, unsuccessfully so far, to install Security Update KB2868038 for Windows XP using both Automatic Updates, and also doing it manually. When I do it manually, it processes the update, and then tells me it has been installed, but within minutes the yellow shield starts flashing in the task bar and when I click on it, it tells me that the same update needs installing. When I use Automatic Updates to do it, it appears to install it, and then tells me that the update could not be installed. This continues to repeat itself over and over again until I turn the Automatic Updates off. Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem will be most gratefully accepted.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

I've just been on line to try and find out what the Security Update KB2868038 is for, and have found 2 articles on it. The first says it is a security update for USB drivers, and the second is regarding known issues with this update. It says: " •After you install security update 2868038, your audio playback device may be reset to use the system speaker. To configure the audio playback device, follow these steps: 1.Click Start, type sound, and then click Sound. 2.Click the Playback tab. 3.Select the audio device that you want to use, click Set Default, and then click OK. Note You might have to restart your computer for the change to take effect."

I don't want to risk having problems with the audio device, so would it be best just to delete this offer of the update to ensure this doesn't happen, and if so, how do I delete it?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Run windows update manually and when that update comes up click on it and a box should open up underneath.Tick do not show this update again.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 1

To make sure you don't see this download again, mark/tick it as "Hide this update "

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

If you really want the update, you could try slipstreaming it to the Office prog and reinstall.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I think onthelimit1 meant to post on thread about Office 2010 click here

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

*Daniel-Eaton * Ah! I think you've identified the reason I can't download it. I've just checked it out with the Microsoft Download Centre, and the supported operating system for this update is Windows 7 Service Pack 1, and I use XP. I will now, following Jock1e's and iscanut2's advice, stop this update showing again. Thanks guys for all your help.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

lotvic - sure did - finger trouble!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites