We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting Public IP Address Instead of Public from Router

Dylon889

Likes # 0

I'm attempting to host a website from a home-based server. However, after port-forwarding, my public IP address did not resolve. After inspecting my router more, I noticed that the IP address given was a local address not a public one like it should be. I tried renewing the DHCP, but with no luck. I have also restarted and reset both the router and the modem. Note also that the modem is plugged directly into the router.

Any reason as to why it would be pulling a local address instead of a public address?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Unless you've paid your ISP for a block of public addresses, you only have one (which may be dynamic - changeable). That address is assigned to your router which becomes the gateway to the outside world. You then port forward port 80 (I assume you're using) to the computer that is acting as a server. So it would look like this:

Router (public IP address) --> forward port 80 to Server (local IP address).

You will also need to make sure any firewall on the router and/or server allows inbound requests on port 80.

Finally, you need to make sure you've configured your registrars DNS servers, to point your domain name to your public IP address.

Note, it's unlikely you'll be able to access your website by simply using a browser on the internet. Why? Because you're on the wrong side of the network. The solution is to map the domain name to your local server IP address in your hosts file on the computer you are using to access the site. For example, if your server's IP address was 192.168.0.1, and your domain was example.co.uk, this is what it would look like:

192.168.0.1 example.co.uk

You can check the site is active to the outside world, by using any one of the many public proxy servers in your web browser and enter your domain name.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...