We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel and bootup queries

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, gentlemen.

I have an almost 7 year old dual core machine, on which I have Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium, and I use Microsoft Professional Office 2003.

There are two things I would really appreciate an answer too. I have tried looking at the ‘Excel’ problem and just can not, apparently, get it to do what I would like it to do, so – too be quite honest - I am now very sceptical that this will work. What I want to do is to ‘play’ with our shares, and in order to use them I wished to be able to copy them into various situations. So just to make my life easier, which I have so far completely failed to do, I would like to be able to copy them using cell names.

So I know I will have to name every cell, but I would then like to copy them. So I will name a cell as “comn1”, being ‘comPANYnAME1’, and the next one “comn2”, and so on for the about 15 to 17 we have. But on top of that where I have used the ‘n’ for the share name, I will want to use other letters for such things as ‘original cost’, ‘current share cost’, ‘number of shares’ and ‘current value’. The idea would then be to write in the company together with the next letters, depending on what I wish to use, and put the number in order to get the first line of that share. I would then copy the subsequent rows down as normal, and so all the others will then appear. As I said I am very sceptical that this will work, but just before I give up entirely I thought I would ask you gentlemen if there is a method by which this could be made to work. Even if it isn’t naming cells but some other way, if it works I do not care. The fact that it works is good enough for me.

Another problem is something I should not have allowed to get under my skin, but stupidly allowed it to do so. When one goes through the boot up and start up procedures for a computer one can never be certain when the computer is ready for the off. What I would like to know if there is a small programme that could be added to the start process and which would put a message on the screen to the effect that “I have now completed your start up procedures. You can start using the computer!!!!’ I keep getting caught out by the desktop icons being, apparently, put on the screen, then wiped out and then put on the screen again and taking different amounts of time to do. If everything went through, and you were told to start using the computer it would be so much easier, don’t you think!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings