We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP Updates in future

Job CF

Likes # 0

I have a cute little IBM X60 Ultraportable that I sometimes use. Unfortunately, RAM canot be upgraded to more than 1.5GB so I am stuck with XP. I am worried about what to do after MS stop supporting XP, in case I need to format and re-install everything. I have files to install SP3 upgrades for XP and the Office. But the rest can be updated only from MS. Obviously this won't be possible after MS stop supporting the XP. Is there is place I can download installable updates since SP3?

Thanks!

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

*"in case I need to format and re-install everything." *

Why not put a back-up image on an external HDD? This would be good practice anyway in case of HDD failure.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

I think you will find that, for quite some time, you can still download the updates (in the usual manner) that have been previously provided. MS just won't be adding any more. So any new security flaws that affect XP won't be patched.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Keep it up to date untill MS stop producing updates

Image weekly - restoring an image is much quicker than reinstalling windows and drivers and then all updates.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Dump XP and move on to Windows 7.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have XP Home and XP Pro on two computer's that I use daily. I'll start worrying about updates and all the rest of it, when support for XP completely stops?.

NB: I still have one computer with Windows ME, and I think we all know how that operating system faired, or was suppose to have done :O)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above you only need a Image using Acronis or other, This you can also use to remove Virus and or Spyware etc. But it will only be as at the time you create it, unless you create more after

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

If you care to try you will find Windows 2000 updates are still available for download (I recently re-installed W2000) and W2000 was abandoned many years ago. No new updates have ever been added since MS stopped supporting the OS but any that were available on the final day of W2000 availability are still there on the MS site and download using Windows Update. I expect XP will be the same. So 'Don't Panic'!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'