We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with receiving WiFi connection

Zeldarawwk

Likes # 0

Hello,

I live in a relatively remote location and am trying to get an internet connection for my home. Virgin Media, BT, PlusNet etc. are not able to provide a service to me due to this and they are not willing to install a line.

There is a small building with a free WiFi hotspot close-by that serves quite a high-speed connection but unfortunately cannot receive a signal from it when at home.

I contacted the owner of the hotspot and received permission to use any equipment to bring that connection into my home by wireless signals, however am unsure how to do so.

I have a vision as to what I hope is possible, but I doubt it will be. If not, then could anyone please recommend the next best thing to it, as a connection is quite important for me and my family.

As I said previously, I have permission from the connection owner and also would not use it for heavy use (downloading large files etc.).

My vision: Click here for image (the encryption part is not necessary, but is preferable)

Thanks in advanced.

1]: [click here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This guy used an old Satellite Dish click here

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

If you're unable to get this issue sorted, then as a last resort, have you considered mobile broadband using a WiFi gadget like this? The top-up charge for 2GB is £13 and the data is available for 30 days.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

.......forgot to mention, make sure you use the mobile operator's network coverage checker before you buy just in case the signal is poor where you are.

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

I use a Cantenna and get a signal at 300yards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...