We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CHKDSK Freezing During Stage 4

jimforrest
Resolved

Likes # 0

After the problems of an HDD failure I decided to run a complete check-up. Spybot Adaware, AVG, Adwcleaner etc - and the CHKDSK in DOS.

CHKDSK ran through Stages , 2 & 3, but then stopped in Stage 4 (Verifying File Data) at 110743 files of 210000 files. After an hour of the HDD light permanently on, no flashing curser, and no response to the keyboard, I held the On button down until it shut down.

After a few I restarted it and it went straight back into CHKDSK - with the same result. It's stopped at 110743 files checked.

How can I get it out of this loop?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ctrl C should cancel chkdsk

Like this post  
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Cheers FB - Cnt-C did the job. re-ran it and all is ok with the Disk (well .... it finally booted into Windows so I assume it's ok).

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Normally if you run chkdsk and it sticks at the same spot every time I would think it is probably time to get a new one.

If your computer gets slower and slower you know what the problem is.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

jimforrest , download Speedfan 4.49 from FileHippo. On installing and opening the program, let it load the info, then click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab. In the hard disc selection box click the dropdown arrow to select the disc (if more than one) then click on the " Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disc" tab. That should give a fair indication of the health of the disc. The other one is CrystalDiskInfo, use one of the mirrors here, and again select the hard drive if more than one.

Bought a 'new' sata drive from a well known auction site, 500GB and was guaranteed new. Ebaygum, Crystaldiskinfo showed otherwise, and has a Caution on it. :(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days