We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new and confused

confusedmum1138

Likes # 0

Hi, I've just joined to your forum as I'm really confused, thank you for taking the time to read my post its really appreciated. Oldest son has started high school this year and has been given some homework which can be done as a power point(confused) or handwritten if not got computers etc. We have got a laptop which is coming up for about 3 years old so my questions are do I get the power point thingy for £100 and put it on our laptop and get a cheaply printer so he can do homework like that, or someone says get a tablet and I can air print the homework to a printer( no idea what they mean), or do I get a new laptop.....thing is my oldest isn't that fussed for any really its me thinking this as I want him be able to do his homework on computer so he doesn't look like he behind with the times at school with his friends, I know this sounds silly but high school seems a bit nasty and don't want draw attention to him by not having the right gadgets for school/homework......so sorry for waffling but just mega confused,thank youuuuuuu.xx

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I suggest you try downloading the free libreoffice which has a presentation section which is compatible with Powerpoint.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

as onthelimimt1 suggests use libre office as its free and far more cheaper than spending £100.00

libreoffice sites

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

manySorry welcome to the forum, there are many gadgets, some even i cant keep up with.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are confused, and your son is not all that fussed, taking into consideration that its him who should be responsible for his homework etc. Then I would suggest he as a word with other member's of his school, including the person responsible for teaching or IT, what they would suggest or recommend, so as to keep in line with others.

Using LibreOffice will certainly save money, but will he be able to master it, or even want to, if others are using a different method?.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Power Point is part of the Microsoft Office Suite of Programs.

Your son's School will probably, already, be using Word, Excel and possibly even Access, which are all part of the same group of Programs.

Microsoft make these available to Students at a much reduced price.

As has been said above "Libre Office" closely mimics these programs and is free to the private citizen.

A 3yo Laptop should be quite adequate for his school work and a Tablet is unlikely to be suitable although there may be peer group pressure to get one.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

p.s. do not consider any question too trivial to ask. Most of us have been where you are at some time in the past.

Like this post
confusedmum1138

Likes # 0

Thank you for all your help, I'm going have a look at it and ask his school too......far too confusing back in my day didn't have such luxuries lol xx

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hello confused, I have Microsoft "Office Home and Student 2007", I have installed it on one PC but it has a license for three computers.

On it is Word 2007/Excel 2007/ Power Point 2007/ OneNote 2007. It is an original Microsoft disk in its box with valid license key and certificate of authenticity, not a copy.

If you want to check with the school that it is suitable I could send it to you. I don't want anything for it, just confirm here if it is the required software as they may want a newer version.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Bumpkin: I am not sure if your idea will work as the licence refers to a single household

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

bumpkin, I think wee eddie is right, the 3 installs licence refers to a single household click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger