We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook express xp / failing restore points

awest3

Likes # 0

My brother switched providers from blueyonder to sky. He continued to use the blueyonder email address until they pulled the plug. At this time he started to get msgs to put in his usid and password, which obviously he cant becasue he does not have a valid blueyonder account anymore. He then setup a sky email address using the uid and password he got along with his sky TV/Broadband package. The problem is he is still getting the same uid/password msg even with the new account. I tried to do a system restore (the PC is now with me) to a point prior to when he started having issues. This was really just to establish that no system files were corrupt.Even in safe mode the system restore process will not complete for any of the 10 or so restore points which exist. His old Outlook Express system has disappeared so not only can he not send or receive emails but also cannot get to his old emails. It now comes up with a 'welcome to outlook express 6' message rather than his original system. (one of the reasons I tried the restore process). All the IDX and DBX OE files seem to be there but as the old OE system wont start he has no way of accessing them.

Any advice on next steps would be appreciated. Al

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Why not try to repair Outlook Express first Click here and scroll down for XP instructions

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks for this suggestion. Whilst I have not exactly fixed the problem I have now been able to set up the new Sky email account and import all the emails and the address book. I still do not know what happened to the old outlook..but what the heck hes got his new email address and all the old emails etc. so hes happy.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Al

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone