We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Connection Speed help

Mythionis

Likes # 0

I use a Dell Inspirion M5010 and the past few days, it would slow down significantly for no reason. I've run multiple virus tests and my laptop is clean. I've cleared things like temp files, and made sure that I defragmented my drive, etc. I would be able to just play games or even just browse around and watch videos no problem, and out of nowhere everything would either slow down or not load at all. I thought it was a wifi problem after I made sure my pc was clean by restarting my router and reconnecting but my pc would still be slow. After a while, it goes back to normal, but these lag spikes are very annoying. Does anybody know what the problem could be? I use TWC as my internet provider. I also use Firefox and Windows 7.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you had a look in Taskmanager to see what is using up most of the CPU.

Like this post
Mythionis

Likes # 0

Yes. I've checked it during the spikes I had about an hour ago and the most intensive thing I had running was Firefox. I had nothing else open but everything was still extremely slow.

Like this post
Mythionis

Likes # 0

Please. This gets really bothersome and I have no idea what to do about it. My wifi still has full bars whenever it does.

Like this post
Mythionis

Likes # 0

It doesn't happen at set times. It happens randomly at different times throughout the day. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes and sometimes almost 30. And like I said, it even happens when the only thing I have running is Firefox.

Like this post
kanika

Likes # 0

i understand your problem because I have seen the same situation then my friend suggest me to install Optimo Pro software.It is very beneficial for removing unnecessary junk files and invalid registry entries. You can also install it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have a look in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks on there.

Make sure none of your security programs set to run at start up.Check msconfig to make sure no programs running at start up that does not need to.

You have the latest version of Firefox version 24.

Some really bad reviews for that laptop with Amazon not sure if it is the exact model of yours or not.

Click here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Firefox 25 is out now and you should be able to update it using the normal update method within the next few days.

Or you can download it from here.

Click Here

Have you tried running C Cleaner or going into Command prompt and running ipconfig /flushdns and if that does not make any difference try sfc /scannow which will usually take about 15-20 minutes to run.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

You've give this thread the title "PC Connection Speed help", but most of the postings are focused on the PC speed rather than the connection speed.

Might be useful if you could clarify whether you see the issue as a LAN/Internet speed issue or a PC speed issue regardless of LAN/Internet.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

BTW, ignore the posting from kanika - it looks like a spam posting.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Looks like Mythionis is from the USA so there will be a time difference in his posting.

Maybe run chkdsk just to make sure the hard drive is ok just to rule that out or change the channel of your router to see if that helps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room