We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC freeze, Firefox on BBC site

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

The computer seems to have settled down since those recent problems, apart from 3 times in the last few days it has locked when viewing the BBC site. No problems with other sites. Firefox is v 24.0

When it freezes, I cannot use mouse or keyboard & fan starts whirring fast. Only option is to press the power button until it stops. Any ideas?

g-g

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I can't find others having problems with v24 but there is plenty of evidence that this has happened in 22 and 23. Some of these suggestions might point you in the right direction

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

OK found this one where Mozilla suggests it is an add-on causing the problem. You might want to take a look at it.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

I see adblock plus is one of the add ons mentioned. I'll try disabling it - but then it makes this site s-o s-l-o-w to load a page.

Thanks,

g-g

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

I disabled adblock plus, then wanted to try something, enabled it again and went to BBC site & the pc froze again. I waited for a minute bit nothing happened so hit the button to power down the pc.

Back up again with adblock plus disabled. Will keep you posted.

Blast those annoying adverts, but if I minimise the screen a bit I don't see them at all !!!

g-g

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Trying Bluhell instead of Adblock plus. No problems so far, anybody else use it?

g-g

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good