We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lexar Memory Stick Keeps Blinking

wotsitallabout

Likes # 0

Hello, I have a Lexar memory 16 Gb stick. It keeps flashing although it seems to work. I'm a bit worried about that.

Is this ok? I did delete the secrecy programme that it came with, should I have not done that, and can I download it to get it back? please?

Thank you

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Flashing usually means thatb there is a data exchange in progress. At least it does on most of my memory sticks. I shouldn't worry if it is working OK.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I use a Cruzer 16Gb stick and it flashes all the time it is plugged into a USB socket.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It could be cashing. I wouldn't think that it would benefit a flash drive though. Have a look at this, click here.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

As per alanrwood said. Light on mine flashes when transferring data. Same as pc tower harddrive light flashes when it is busy doing stuff.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , that's fine when it is transferring data. On idle it would be cashing and if the flash drive is only needed to hold data then quick removal should be used.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"On idle it would be cashing"

It might not be caching - the operating system may be polling the drive. By default Windows polls (samples) USB devices at 125 samples per second. On USB drives this can result in the light flickering.

If your drive light flashes all the time it is unlikely to be caching that causes it, unless you have configured Windows to use the drive as a cache location (which you can do).

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

FE

That is good info. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In my Devices Properties Policies, I have my usb flash drive 'Optimized for quick removal' so it doesn't do any write caching AFAIK and also means I don't need the 'Safely Remove Hardware' thingy.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same here lotvic, on all flash drives, and none 'flash' when idle only when data is being transferred.

Like this post
wotsitallabout

Likes # 0

Thank you everyone

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...