We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Laptop Boot Problem

blazon 82
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a Dell Advantage D630 Laptop running XP Proffesional. On Boot up it gets as far as the Windows logo, then restarts the boot up again in a circle. I have run diagnostics which comes up with, Unit 1 drive self test failed status byte 59, error code 2000-0142. Is this an indication of a drive failing, and if so which type of drive do I need to replace it?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes certainly a hard drive problem

Is yours a 160GB or 80GB?

Do you have all our data and system backed up? or a XP professional CD and the Serial key?

It's a standard sata drive and there is no reason why you couldn't actually fit a a larger capacity drive as they will be cheaper nowadays see here

Like this post
blazon 82

Likes # 0

Many thanks Fruit Bat, very helpful as always. The HD is a 80GB and yes I do have everything backed up and an XP Professional disc with the serial key. I will probablt fit a larger drive.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK