We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What to do with dead old laptop

johnincrete

Likes # 0

My ancient Dell laptop is dead: I am told that it is the screen and that to replace it would cost too much. It has done about 10 years of very useful service. So, is there anything in the laptop that is worth salvaging before I put it in a bin? For example, could I use the hard drive as an external drive for backups etc? I replaced the memory only a few months ago: would the memory chips be useful for anything else? There is nothing personal on the hard drive just a few old documents and a Powerpoint presentation for a Christmas Carol concert and I have the original on me desktop. It does have a Dell-installed copy of XP (i.e. no dosk) and I am having some problems with my new laptop (Windows 7): is there any way to install XP from the old computer to my new one? Or should I just bin it?

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

1) You could remove the HDD, put it in a caddy and use it for backup 2) You could experiment and replace the screen yourself. Even if you mess it up, option 1 would still be available 3) Use it as a doorstop

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you have a local recycling charity nearby, then perhaps consider donating it to them for possible third world use?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Take it apart and put it together again. Good practice if you ever have to try any repairs.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You could sell it for parts on e bay (having thoroughly wiped or removed the HD. My grand daughter, last year, sat on an opened lap top that she accidentally had under a duvet (don't ask!) and broke the screen and hinges. I managed to get an identical model sold for parts on e bay and got the screen and hinges sorted out far more cheaply than a new laptop.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS you could use the drive wiper (3 passes) facility on CCleaner to wipe the drive , having deleted your files.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

You can use the "Product Key" to put XP on another PC once you have obtained a disk, a borrowed one or a copy will do.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Why would you want to go from w7 back to XP? It's normally a very stable and fast OS.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

how precious is the info on the HD, if its valuable andddy private salvage it and use as external drive, using a caddy

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Connect it to your TV and turn the TV into a smart TV.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

IF you put the drive in a Caddy you should be able to dual boot it if you set the BIOS to look for other usb boot drives. You will need to run the Dual Boot Manager in 7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers