We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Staying with XP when Microsoft support ends, any tips or advice?

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

I'm perfectly happy using my old XP desktop for editing my photos & with a bit more memory just added & C drive replaced it will hopefully keep going for a few more years.

It isn't used for e-mail anymore, as a newer laptop takes care of that, so I could probably use it without an internet connection & transfer any images that need uploading to the laptop via external storage device.

With only a few months of support left, I was wondering what I should consider doing to ensure my XP keeps running.

It's still the original installation of XP with service packs added. I'm no expert (as you know) at messing with the insides of computers or operating systems, but I was wondering whether to use the C drive that has just been taken out & connect it temporarily to the C-drive leads from the desktop & do a fresh install on that now spare drive. Does a fresh install change bios settings, or do they stay the same? I don't want to go ahead with a fresh install & then find that when I reconnect the "proper" C drive the bios settings or something else has been messed up.

There are 6 months or so to go before support ends, so this topic might run on for a while, but any advice appreciated.

g-g

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Now you have XP working as you want it use the old drive in a caddy to make a backups of your system.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Yes, I use Acronis true image every month to make a backup of the C drive on external drives, always making sure I don't overwrite the latest backup - just in case an external drive fails.

g-g

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I use XP on all my computers and a Laptop plus Netbook. XP is not going to suddenly stop working, just because Microsoft is not supplying any more service for it. Just make sure you have backup Images and Anti-Virus kept up to date

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I also use XP on a small netbook and will be using well after Ms updates cease (hopefully it will last that long). I use an older version of a firewall, click here, as XP's own isn't good and use the very latest Avast version. Can't see any problems as you can also use modern browsers such as Firefox etc.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

If you have a perfectly stable XP installation, I would make SEVERAL backups and guard them jealously. But make sure you check each one for reliability!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I really can't see the point in clinging on to a twelve year old operating system.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees , in my case, my youngest daughter plays Animal Jam (don't ask :)) on it and as she is happy then so am I.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees I presume you have the latest Car with all the latest Gadgets

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip, unlike you to be a tad grumpy, but we know your favourite OS is XP.

:)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

rdave13 I get like that some days, i am 77 plus I do not like just Chucking things that work okay, tend to be a contented person

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer