We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

File Sharing - Administrator's rights etc.

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have re-stalled Win7 on my laptop and have got my network (part wireless and part LAN) to see all the computers. My laptop can access every single directory (except Windows which I haven't set to share) on my Win XP Desktop machine, and I can copy files across without problems.

My other laptop is another problem. (Both laptops run Win7). I can 'see' all of the directories that I have set to share (on both laptops) but I can only copy files from the Public folders. I can't open the non public directories as I get a message saying that I don't have permissions. I have tried reading the info on the Microsoft Knowledge Base on this and have to admit I don't understand it!

I think it has something to do with Administrators and UAC but can't find what. I have the UAC slider set to zero on both computers so it should be off - but it isn't because it's still stopping me accessing MY OWN computer!

How do I get round this?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I think it has something to do with Administrators and UAC but can't find what............"

I think you may be looking in the wrong place Jim.

The settings that control file sharing in Windows 7 can be found via Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Change Advanced Sharing Options. See if you can spot any differences between your two Windows 7 computers and make any appropriate changes. The "Password Protected Sharing" option may be the culprit here although I would have thought you'd get different symptoms.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thanks SS. It all got a bit technical for me so I copied the files on the old laptop into its Public File (there was room), and them WiFi'd them across to my my rebuilt laptop. The reason I wanted to do it directly from the original Folder is because it was 44.5gb in size! (Lots of engineering drawings, reports etc). Took a while but all done now.

I'll worry about the Permissions etc later - but for the usual one or two file transfers I can use the Public Folder.

Now I can make an Image of the rebuilt laptop as it has more-or-less everything back on it. Then I'll have a go with Paragon to try to recover the lost files on my old HDD (which is where we started!)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK