We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP pc fails to start

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Just increased memory & and replaced c-drive with a larger drive.

I cloned the c-drive to the new drive using another Acronis on another pc.

Once it was all put back together,and plugged in & switched on it all worked.

After a few hours I did a restart, the Intel Pentium 4 logo flashes up, then the screen with the hard drive details showing at the top, with device listing underneath..... then it just hangs there with the fan whizzing away, nothing else happens.

Have tried powering off, unplugging, leaving for a few minutes then trying again - but still the same.

Any suggestions please??

g-g

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Check all Memory modules are seated correctly.

Revert back to old Memory configuration.

If it now works try adding the new Memory, one stick at a time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. make sure no disks in drives and all usb devices unplugged retry

2. recheck drive cables fully pushed in at drive and motherboard

3. recheck boot order in BIOS CD drive then HDD drive retry

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Original memory back in, no usb devices plugged in, no cd in drive. All leads looked fine.

Still stops at the same place as before.

g-g

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

If the original drive is plugged in, unplug it for the moment and retry.

In fact unplug all Disk Drives except the C:\

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

C is the new drive, the old one is not in the pc. D is the second drive that has not been modified. I can try it with D unplugged.

g-g

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

With D unplugged it is still the same.

As only 1 disk is now showing on the screen, I can see at the top of the screen it recognises DDR in the 4 memory slots.

Would it be worth trying the original C drive back in place with the new one removed?

g-g

(I keep getting unresponsive script message every time I load a page in this forum)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

*Would it be worth trying the original C drive back in place with the new one removed? g-g*

Yes

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

OK. That will keep me busy for a few minutes!

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Had to stop for lunch, but pleased to say it is now working again with the original C drive installed.

The new drive I had installed was a new 2GB WD sata drive. The size shouldn't be a problem though???

Should I try copying the original (and working) C drive to the new disk & try it again? I feel happier using acronis true image on my laptop to clone via usb than running acronis on the XP machine and having to mess around rebooting when it is complete. Using that method isn't causing the problem, I hope?

Ta all for help so far.

g-g

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Have you considered a clean install on the new drive?

Or put it in as a secondary and see if it can be read?

If you test it and it seems to be okay you could format it and try the whole thing again.

Personally I prefer a clean install.

I have three 2GB disks in my machine and they cause no problem (touch wood)!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......