We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Odd printing problem when scanning...

Qquackers

Likes # 0

I've been puzzling over this for most of the day...Friend uses a PC with XP and a HP PSC1317 all-in-one printer scanner. Printing anything (including scanned items) via the PC works fine. But scanning and printing directly from the scanner the quality of the colour printing isn't as good as it has usually been. We've done all the checks we can think of...she's not on the internet so I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled the printer as she doesn't have any discs (I can do this if necessary). Something else that's just started happening is that she's getting a "CMOS/GPNU Checksum Bad. CMOS Date/Time not set. Press F4 to Run Setup." This I believe is to do with the battery which she's going to arrange to have replaced... (I can't / won't go rummaging inside the PC). Could the two things be connected? Any advice / suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Like this post
juliereed001

Likes # 0

The CMOS error may or may not be the reason why your printer is working incorrectly. Since you say the printer issue started after receiving an error with CMOS, it may be related. But to make it sure, have you tried connecting your printer to another computer and see if it still produces issues? Also, if you don't have any disk for your printer, you can go to HP website and download the driver for HP PSC1317 All-in-one printer. I have given the link below:

click here for the CMOS issue, if its showing a CMOS Checksum Error, it is necessary to replace your CMOS battery. For instructions on how to fix this, you can find more information on the link below:

click here

And

Like this post
Qquackers

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the help. Trying the printer on another PC is something I hadn't thought of.

Like this post
juliereed001

Likes # 0

I hope you can fix your problem and anytime you need help, just let us know.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I can't / won't go rummaging inside the PC

Changing the CMOS battery is one of the easiest things to do and a good starting point to learn about rummaging inside a PC:

CMOS Battery click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...