We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building my own website - would like to know about copyright

resolute

Likes # 0

I posted months ago and you are all very helpful and knowlegeable.

So I would like to ask another question.

I want to make my website very visual with lots of eyecatching images. I have googled free image data bases and it doses bring up lots of image data bases which you can use for free.

Do you think it is okay just to go ahead and use these images on my website or do you think I should still check with the image data base and get their written permision to use their images to make sure I cover myself legally despite it saying their images are free to use?

Have any of you out there used free images before on your own websites?

Thankyou

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If a site publishes images that are copyright-free you may use them as you wish - there's no need to contact anyone for written permission. If you want to make absolutely sure, keep a record of the url of the site from which you download, and the date on which you obtained the images.

Like this post
TV-Repairman

Likes # 0

Before you do anything, Google: Getty images letter.

Like this post
resolute

Likes # 0

Thankyou very much both to the forum editor and tv repairman.

I will definitely google the getty images letter.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One of my daughters worked for Getty images for a time, and she told me how vigilant they have to be in combatting copyright theft - people use their images without consent, and without paying a copyright fee.

Image banks make their money by attracting professional photographers, who in turn make money from Getty image sales. If people use the images without paying they are in effect depriving people of their income.

Use copyright-free images (of which there are millions available online) and you'll be fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia