We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade From XP to Win 7

DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi all I am going to upgrade from xp to windows 7,I have run windows upgrade advisor and it appears I can upgrade my my pc but I will need at least 16GB of free space which I dont have. My question is what exactly do I need to carry out this upgrade,and where do you guys suggest the best place to buy all the necessary software etc? Thanks Dakar

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Amazon is as cheap as any and has free delivery.

How big is the hard drive that you have at the moment. Not sure but upgrading to W/7 will that not clear everything that you have on your hard drive at the moment and will act like a fresh install.

As long as you don't take any programs with you that is the way it should work.

Worked like that for me when upgrading to W/8 from W/7.

I am sure someone will be able to give you the proper advice that you need.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Upgrade will not clear any programs or data, so you will need to clear up some space yourself. You could buy a cheap USB external hard drive and move any data ( word files, photos, music etc ) and once upgrade is complete, see what space you have and move back or just leave on the external drive. The Win 7 upgrade software is just over £100 on Amazon.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can't upgrade XP to W7 in the same way as you can Vista.

You have to choose 'Custom' and then pc restarts and does a clean install.

Here is the five step tutorial click here

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Sorry about misinformation about program files...

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thanks guys Sorry about delay but any idea why no notification any more like old times. I will follow all your suggestions,once again Thanks Regards Dakar

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen