We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop getting hot and fans running louder

redsusan

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion g6 with windows 7 had it quite a while now and over the past few days its getting hot underneath and I can hear the fans running all the time . Can you tell me if I can fix it or does it have to go to repair Man. Thank you Susan

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

My wife had the same problem with a DV6. I opened it up and the cooling fins were blocked with dust. I cleaned that and reapplied the CPU heat sink compound and since then it has only gone as high as 60 degrees.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Cleaning can be as simple as you like. From a natural bristle paint brush and a hair dryer to cans of compressed air and a screwdriver.

Just remember. If you take it apart. Keep the screws in a saucer and take photos as you go.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Do not blow air in it only makes it worse, the only correct way is strip it and clean the Heat Exchanger to the CPU Fluff on this will be like felt.

Things that do the above are Cig Smoke, Using Laptop on soft furnishings and Carpets

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

It is possible to clean the vents by sucking air out. Some brushes which suck can be used. Blowing is counter productive. This will only work if there is a slight blockage and from the sound of the original post there is a larger problem that would benefit from a strip down.

With regard to the case screws I would strongly suggest that because there are usually different lengths of screws used, it is sensible to draw a map of which screws go where.

I would also recommend that the OP installs Core Temperature (32 or 64 bit) so that an objective temperature measurement can be made before and after.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry to disagree, but I doubt that sucking will have any effect - the dust builds up on the fine matrix of the heatexchanger and becomes quite solid. strip down is the only sure way.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There are some people who rarely think about a problem in a logical manner.

Of course dust builds up on the outside of the Input vent, so you blow inwards, from the outside of the Output vent and use the bristle paint brush, I recommend 1/2" as the best size, to loosen any that sticks to the mesh screen.

The reason for natural bristles: They carry little, or no, static charge. Whereas most Man-Made Fibres can be horrendous that way

A vacuum cleaner can shift the dust, once it's loose, but without near physical contact with the mat of fibre will find it difficult to lift it.

I am happy that lots of people disagree with me. That is the way that new methods emerge.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Brushes will not reach the heat exchanger fins where the fluff dust builds up

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just done this on an Inspiron - great design - remove one panel on the base, then 5 screws and the entire heatsink unit can be removed. I wish other manufacturers made it so easy!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have look on youtube about cleaning the laptop

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

stil going red susan try this enter link description here

mines a green one been using for the last 7 years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes