We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System restore HHD on different computer

awest3
Resolved

Likes # 0

I think i've got a corrupted system on my XP computer. On startup it goes into BSOD '0x000000FC' which I think is a generic code for lots of faults. I cannot get into safemode of any description. I've checked the HDD which is working ok on my other W7 computer. I've reseated the memory 4x1 gig (but not tested this yet) and I will be reseating the Cpu with new paste. My question is can I do a system restore (the last thing that was updated was windows update and I think that may have caused the issue) on the XP drive which is now running on my W7 system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No.

Do you have a XP CD same as your system? i.e. XP home or Pro

You can then get into recovery console to do a system restore or do a repair install.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

thanks.. I do have a disk. I am about to put it all back together and have also run Malwarebytes against the hdd..all clear...

I'll let you know how it goes

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Same error on restart so I'll get the disk..

I have an Acronis backup from 2 weeks ago so I can always restore that. Backup is offsite ( at mother in laws) so if I have to do that it will be tomorrow before I get back.

Thanks again

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

This is interesting! even through I can read the drive on my w7 machine it's failing with a return code 7 when I run a diagnostics test on the XP machine. Not sure what a RC 7 is I'll look it up and get back.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Gets even more interesting.. Some say HDD anything over 80Gb and you can't trust the results (mines 250Gb) others say its a fault and the disk must be replaced. A lot mention bad sectors.... I'll give the recovery another shot, if no joy I will replace the HDD and do an Acronis recovery. Not quite sure why I can read everything on the HDD via my W7 machine though...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

While its in the W7 machine can you do a chkdsk /f on it?

When done put it back and see if it boots.

if not then boot from Xp cd to recovery console and

type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Have you checked the hard drive for bad sectors?

Even if it looks OK on your win 7 computer it still could be faulty.

When you boot into windows, files are being read from all parts of the drive if the info can not be read or the file is corrupt you could get the BSOD or even the computer hanging.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks guys... just running a chkdsk /r at the moment.. will get back as soon as its finished.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Chkdsk finished not showing any errors. same BSOD on restart. so will now try some of your suggestions and get back to you.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I'm doing something wrong but can't see what. I'm typing

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

at the command prompt but its telling me its not a valid command!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia