We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Office 2010 or office 2003

ponytail

Likes # 0

When my laptop was cleaned up two weeks ago and returned to factory settings the person who did the work installed office 2010 not sure which version.I did not realise it was on there soOFFICE I reinstalled my version of office 2003.I saw him yesterday and mentioned I had reinstalled 2003 and he said he had installed 2010 so now I have both versions on the laptop.Two questions which is the best and second I have some spreadsheets which were done using 2003 how would using 2010 affect these spreadsheets

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you Google for the comparison you will read several differing opinions. Lots of people did not like the new Ribbon style when they changed from 2003, it is a personal choice thing. Most say that recalculation in Excel 2010 is faster than in Excel 2003 and they like Powerpoint integration better. Spreadsheets made in 2003 can be read in 2010 but not necessarily vice versa.

Personally I am pleased with the changes, but if you have the space available on your laptop there is no reason why you cannot have both on it. Get used to the differences and then make up your mind later which you prefer.

I presume that the version of Office 2010 that was installed was a legal one and that it has been activated correctly. It would not be good to choose 2010, delete 2003 and then find 2010 will not update etc.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

It depends how you define "best". Newer versions contain features and improvements that are not present in earlier versions. Generally speaking if you have created a spread sheet in an earlier version and run it in a later version it should work OK but not vice versa, the only way to find out is to launch them in the later version and if they work OK then stick with the later version as you may require the added features at a later date.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As chub_tor has pointed out:

You need to check if the version of Office 2010 that was installed was a legal one and that it has been activated correctly

What if you wanted to reinstall it at a later date or install it on a new laptop or pc if your present one gets broken?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...