We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP wireless security setting keeps sapping back to WEP

aca

Likes # 0

Was connecting fine to home network - made some changes to router to accomodate streaming. And today no end of problems connecting. Current situation.

Only have the problem of seeing but not connecting to my wireless network on 1 laptop with XP Professional Message that out of range etc comes up when trying to connect Have tried: DNS flush/Microsoft Winsock fix Restored router to factory settings Removed wireless adapter and reinstalled Intel R/Pro/Wireless 3945AB and reinstalled Can connect with no security encryption or via wired LAN

Crux of problem (I think) is that in XP when I try to set security method to WPA-WSK and AES (these options appear so assume they should be available and they were working previously) together with entering the password it wont save these settings. It keeps reverting to WEP and therefore wont join network.

Any suggestions VERY welcome! Thanks

Like this post
aca

Likes # 0

Apologies sapping (which is pretty apt...) should be swapping!

Like this post
aca

Likes # 0

Update

have now also updated the driver for the wireless adapter - still have problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...