We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

replacement operating system for acer aspire 3634 running windows xp

velebit

Likes # 0

can anyone advise what would be cheapest,and easiest to implement for a non techie, option to enable me to keep my lap top running (perfectly servicable at the moment) after demise of xp in april 2014. are there cheap programmes available which can automatically convert existing system and where can i purchase these,with appropriate costs. any guidance would be appreciated including any info on this discussion ,and how to actually change operating systems ,if it has already been debated. thanks in advance for any help.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi

Your XP sysstem will not stop working after April, it is just that MS will not be issuing any more updates so you have planty of time. If you wish to upgrade then your cheapest option is a Linux distribution, Ubuntu, Mint etc. If you must stick with Windows then you should look around at alternatives on eBay (watch out for fakes if they are too cheap. You might find a Win7 one there. Don't know the spec of your laptop so check it will run Win7 first using the MS upodate checker. Whatever you do will require an absolutely clean install so you will need to make an nexternal backup of all your data.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To see if your PC is ready for Windows 7, download the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It scans your PC for potential issues with your hardware, devices, and installed programs, and recommends what to do before you upgrade click here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Bear in mind if you change to W7, although you can transfer files and settings, you cannot transfer programmes. You would therefore need the disks, or be able to download them. Personally, to save the hassle, I'd be tempted to stick to XP until the laptop dies!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well it looks like all 5 of mine will be running XP after the date. I also still dual boot one of my desktops with Win98se

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

u could try linux mint

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...