We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop keeps restarting-Think I've got a virus!

buel

Likes # 0

Hi. I have started up an old xp laptop that has been running great the last few days. I uninstalled AVG to try and install Essentials as I believed the AVG was a procesor hogger.Meanwhile, I foolishly tried to install a programme that I had downloaded and now think was a virus. I then tried to install Defender and unfortunately Defender was unable to install and I had a message come up telling me that it was unable to install for some reason.

Now the laptop restarts constantly even in safe mode. Is there any way I can run some scans via a USB as I dont think the DVD drive works that well....but I can give it a go if I have to. Thanks all.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Now the laptop restarts constantly even in safe mode.

corrupted windows files you will need a XP Cd to do a repair

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP click here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I do not se the 'R' for 'Repair' option so using the link you gave me, I need to determine what drive letter the external DVD drive is before I go further and sue the advice given, which is: "Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option and if the CD letter is say K: give these commands

copy K:\i386\ntldr C:\ copy K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

(two other files needed - just in case)

1. Type: attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

2. Type: BootCfg /Rebuild

But how do I find the external DVD drive letter, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Most laptops only have one unpartitioned drive C:

DVD drive will therefore be D:

Therefore external drives will be E:

To check boot to recovery console at the prompt type CD e: (changes to external drive E: )

then type dir

this should list all the files and folders on the CD if not then try other letters.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ok, i used the 'map' command to find that it was drive F.

So, i typed:

copy F:\i386\ntldr C:\

and got the message 'The file could not be copied'. Please, please can i ask for some help here. Just to clarify, the 'R' option does not appear when following Fruit Bat's instructions, nor does Windows appear when in the black recovery console?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Well, there are not many things that make me say "Oh Wow"! on a Sunday morning but that is one of them!! I just used CHKDSK whilst in the Recovery Console, restarted and it now 'sees' Windows and I am currently in the process of repairing!!

Fingers crossed Fruit Bat....

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Well there are not many things that make me say "Oh F*" on a Sunday morning but this is one of them: During the repair I have the message 'the file 'Syn TPEnh.exe' on Synaptics Driver Installation Disk is needed. Tye the path where the file is located, and then click OK'

There is a path already inserted in the relevant box so I'll click on ok......

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Well there are not many things that make me say "Oh F*" on a Sunday morning but this is one of them: During the repair I have the message 'the file 'Syn TPEnh.exe' on Synaptics Driver Installation Disk is needed. Tye the path where the file is located, and then click OK'

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If necessary skip the file you can download it from the manufartures web site when windows is up and running As this is a touchpad diver you will probably have to use a usb mouse (unless your good at keyboard commands) until the driver is installed.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I do not se the 'R' for 'Repair' option so using the link you gave me, I need to determine what drive letter the external DVD drive is before I go further and sue the advice given, which is: "Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option and if the CD letter is say K: give these commands

copy K:\i386\ntldr C:\ copy K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

(two other files needed - just in case)

1. Type: attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

2. Type: BootCfg /Rebuild

But how do I find the external DVD drive letter, please?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes