We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor Screen keeps Flickering with the case fan!

Narendra

Likes # 0

Hello, Recently I installed a Akasa case fan that has its speed control with the capacitor. but the monitor keeps flickering and if I remove the speed control from the fan the computer switches off. Do I need the case fan? I wish to remove it or please advise. Thank You. Narendra.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Do I need the case fan"

That might depend on what you are doing, and if its high end work like extreme gaming, then probably yes.

There are a number of free downloads for temperature testing, and possibly one in your operating system. Have you undertaken any temperature testing on how your computer is functioning on average?.

Perhaps a little more information on O/S, usage etc might help to give a more precise answer to the question raised?.

The computer should switch off, if any temperature control is disabled or not giving out the correct signal. The fan is a security and safety device.

Like this post
Narendra

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your reply. I think its the power suply, its only a bare minimum of 300 watts, so i need a higher one, have orderd a one of 550 watts, set the bios to fail safe defaults. I do not play games. My o/s system is Windows 7. Thank you again.

Narendra.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

For average use, the new 550w psu should do the job far better than the 300w, which is considered a bare minimum unit for most lower or average lower end computers. I would suggest that the new psu specification have 'overload protection' and appropriate fan size, because this can vary between models and manufacturer's. But having said that, I purchase quite a number of the lower priced units, and so far, never had a returns due to failures.

If you have fans on the psu and cpu,and they are working fine, then these should also be sufficient, if again you are only using the computer for average or 'normal' use. Fitting a case fan, is usually an extra safety option for those wanting cooling for extra heat sources. If your computer is not confined to a 'close' area for ventilation, or the casing ventilation holes/slots are not blocked, then extra fans should not be a necessary extra but an individual choice?.

Like this post
Narendra

Likes # 0

But I had 2 , 550 watts modular power supplies previously and both failed POWER SUPPLY TESTER, the -5V light would not switch on both of them and had to return them. I hope the third one that I have ordered is not faulty! Never bothered to install them on the case! Its a hassle removing them! Narendra.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

New ones don't have -5v, not needed.

Like this post
Narendra

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your reply.

Does that mean the power supply will work on the computer?

I did not know -5V is not neccessary. Glad I asked. But I sent back the last two! Whry did not they tell me?

Narendra.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Why did they not tell me?"

That would all depend on the supplier, and whether they took your word for the 'fault', and they couldn't be bothered to test them. Perhaps someone else then received your 'faulty' units?.

I assume that your Power Supply Tester was of the 'oblong block type' that can be purchased from eBay very cheaply. If so, then I have used these with varied results.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

spuds, "Antec" is the make for a good one.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"Does that mean the power supply will work on the computer?"

It should do but you have not given any details of the machine you are using.

Like this post
Narendra

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your replies! My system is 3/4 years old and they used -5V on the motherboards. The new modular ones do not use -5V, so the new modular power supply may not work on my computer system.

Yes, the POWER SUPPLY TESTER was from the Ebay and it came somewhere from the east, may be Thailand!

Please suggest some decent one, and also for the POST Card!

Thank you. Narendra.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement