We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Low wireless signal on desktop, laptop gives 5 bars

GeoffVDC

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I have this really annoying problem. I use a TP LINK WN881ND wireless N network card and only get 2 bars of range anywhere in the house (even near router). At certain moments it even drops to 1 bar or completely disconnects. It is used on a desktop (pretty high end). My laptop however, on the exact same spot (turned in every direction to test) always gives 5 bars ANYWHERE in the house.

At first, I thought it was a hardware issue and RMA'd the card. I got a new one back and the same issue persists. The weird thing is, when I JUST installed it in my PC, the signal was good, but after mere minutes it started dropping again.

I use virtual machine software, I have heard that it may cause problems?

System specs: - i5 3570k OC - nVidia GeForce GTX670 - Sufficient quality power supply - AsRock Z77 Extreme4 MB - SSD and HDD

If I share my wireless from my laptop via ethernet port to my desktop (with cable), I get better ping, better speeds.

Thanks, Geoff

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...