We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP displays download mgr.dll not found

templar_knight

Likes # 0

When I boot my Windows XP PC, the system displays a message advising that a file named download mgr.dll is not found. What is this message and how can I get rid of this?

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

It could be the windows download manager? Or it could be related to a 3rd party download manager you uninstalled? Try running sfc /scannow.

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

It may be windows download manager or a 3rd party download manager that you have uninstalled? Try running sfc /scannow it may find corrupt or missing files?

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

Sorry for "double post" something "screwy" with this site?????

Like this post
templar_knight

Likes # 0

I ran the command. After running for a couple of minutes, the system displayed the following message:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

I don't have the Service Pack CD, as the message suggests. Is there anything else I could do? Where can I get the CD?

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That message "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD" means the installation CD for XP sp3 (XP with sp3) not the SP3 on its own.

You would have to burn a new XP cd and slipstream the sp3 on.

However, I have had a look/search on HDD on my XP pro sp3 pc and I do not have a 'download mgr.dll' which makes me think it is not part of Windows XP.

So perhaps, as Press Man said, it is/was part of a software program you have uninstalled, but the entry is still there in Start up programs so Windows tries to start it, but as it's not there anymore you get the error message.

Have a look in Start - Run - type msconfig and click on ok then go to the Startup tab and see if you recognise it there and you can untick it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote