We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No registration key XP Home

PvG

Likes # 0

Hi I have just re-installed XP Pro (original disk)on my Dell Vostro and the "register your version" didn't appear, so can't register. Now I find that I can't get on to MS Updateto get any updates. Can't find any links under the Start or Programmes button. Anyone got an idea? Thanks Paul

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Look up their number and do it by phone. Sorry but I don't have the number should be easy to find though.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Found it number from UK is 0800 018 8354.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you used a Dell XP disk on a Dell pc you don't need to enter a product key, it gets pre-activated with the Dell SLP in the Bios.

Don't confuse Activation with Registering, you don't need to register, but you will need to go through Validation when you first do an update.

First you need to install SP3, suggest you download .iso the stand-alone version that you can burn to CD (use free ImgBurn or any that burn .iso's and burn at slowest speed to avoid errors) so that you have it for now and for future use when support ends click here

To check the current status of Windows Product Activation, open the Run dialog box. (Press [Windows Key] + [R] to open the Run dialog box.) Now, type (or copy and paste) in the following command and press Enter:

oobe/msoobe /a

An “Activate Windows” window will open that will show the current Windows activation status. If Windows XP is already activated, the message “Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.” will appear.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You will need the Dell Drivers as well, click here

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

You will need to install Internet Explorer 8. Download it and install it but do not tick the updates box during installation.

Once IE 8 is installed you will get updates for XP.

I have just re installed XP on a computer and it took me a couple of days to work this out as you get no error messages or any indication that IE6 is not connecting to get updates.

Like this post
PvG

Likes # 0

Hi Folks Really appreciate all your help. Everything is running OK now. The connection for Updates seem to have sorted itselv out and I had 105 + IE8. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback