We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Microsoft office 2010

Fordy
Resolved

Likes # 0

I bought this computer in June 2012 and opted for the free office (with adverts).This has suited me just fine but today I cannot access many of my documents as they have all changed to DOCX files, and a Microsoft message appears saying I have to purchase Office 2010. Was it a time limited offer?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You probably have the starter edition of Office which only has Word and Excel or the trial version and adverts. The trial version should have expired long before now if it came in 2012. Have you tried installing any other MS Office software?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes 30 days

Docx can be opened in older versions of office using the compatibility pack

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Read this and try the repair or you can download and use LibreOffice which is free.

1]: [click here

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help appreciated.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

Fordy, a recent Windows 7 update has caused problems with Office Starter and it's likely that's what's happened to you. However, I'm not sure that you're right about your documents suddenly changing to DOCX files as the Starter edition can save and open those too. Anyhow, here's the fix for you to try:

Right-click on one of your affected documents -> left-click on "Open With" -> left-click "Choose Default Program". In the windows that opens, left-click once on the Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler option the click OK. All files of that type should now open in Office Starter.

Repeat for all other affected Office documents that fail to open as they used to. Note that for Excel files the option to select is called Microsoft Application Virtualization DDE Handler.

PS: Despite what you've been told, Office Starter does not expire. I've tackled this problem a few times in the last few days so try my advice before you do anything drastic.

Like this post  
Fordy

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel--- Thank you very much what you said worked perfectly, I can now stop tearing my hair out! Thanks again Fordy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...