We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homeplug without use of ethernet cable?

mot91

Likes # 0

Hi, Is it possible to extend your wireless network using home plug without an ethernet cable from the router?

I hoped you get a version of homeplug that can pickup the signal from the wireless network then repeat it via the homeplug.

You may ask why i dont use a wireless repeater, well its because the signal is going to my garage outside where i will be able to put a fused socket on each end of the supply for the homeplug.

Hope this makes sense. Cheers for any input!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No, the router has to be plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. You can have a wireless one at the other end to broadcast the signal. This setup is generally better than using a wireless 'booster' or repeater.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

onthelimit1, may I correct your typo :)

the router has to be plugged into the 1st Homeplug with an ethernet cable

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic - fingers ahead of brain again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...