We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sticky DVD Drive - even the replacement

swapper

Likes # 0

Hello, Windows xppro, My Tower is quite old, but has had a new motherboard in the last four years. For a long time the dvd drive was sticking (even before the new board), but could be used o.k. by using a pin to open the drive. I eventually got fed up with it and early this year replaced it with a TTST Corp CDDVDW SH-2224BB drive, which is now doing exactly the same thing, sticking. Any advice please? Thanks

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

Does it fit correctly in the case? Can you try and connect it so it is not influenced by the case i.e. do not tighten the fixing screws, or better still outside of the case just to see if the dvd drawer opens and closes smoothly.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Have you tried using the on screen eject tab instead of the button on the case.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Also try it with just the power cable connected, as it was also happening with the old drive may well be software.

Like this post
swapper

Likes # 0

Thank you all, I will check each Ietm and come back.

Like this post
swapper

Likes # 0

I don't know!

I did as suggested above, also put it on power in another machine.

I also removed the front silver cover and drawer cover, with the same result, the drawer sticks, so it is the drive, but why should it occure on two drives (the old and the new)?

btw bumpkin, what do you mean by the screen eject tab?

thanks

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

Was the drive okay when first fitted and used?

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

Was the drive okay when first fitted and used?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Click My Computer, right click on the CD drive, click on the eject option.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Was this a new drive when you first fitted it?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

The fact that it has happened to two drives is what puzzles me also, which is why I was thinking it could be your CD burning software. Now sounds like the little plastic gears if you have tried it in another machine. Does anyone else use this PC and maybe pushes the tray in a bit too hard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK