We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IP address compromised

chocolate cake
Resolved

Likes # 0

y mother in law has I fear fallen victim to a scam on Thursday during which she allowed someone she thought was her provider to remote onto her desktop by giving them her IP address. They then proceeded to spend several hours rummaging in her computer uninstalling AVG and installing Microsoft security essentials as an alernative and also a free 14 day trial of Malwarebytes. I've now uninstalled these two programmes and instaled Bitdefender Total Protection and set all parameters to aggressive and/or paranoia, I have also 'stealthed' the computer via the firewall. I've run all available scans which have come back negative.

My question is should I be concerned that the IP address was given out and what further measures can I take to protect her and the PC? Is there any pressing need to change the IP address and how do I go about doing this?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Is there any pressing need to change the IP address and how do I go about doing this?"

I wouldn't have thought there was a pressing need, but it might be a prudent move, given the circumstances.

Tell your mother-in-law to pull her router's telephone line plug out of the BT wall socket before she goes to bed, and then plug it in when she gets up next morning. Her router will be assigned a new IP address, and all will be well.

As I'm sure you know, the router's IP number is not the same one that her computer has. The computer is assigned an IP number by the router itself, not by the ISP.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Having done a bit of "Googling" I think that your ma-in-law is pretty safe, most IP addresses are dynamic and change regularly anyway but this is a really useful page for understanding IP addresses

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

For someone to have gone to all the bother of changing her security programs etc does not seem to be something someone would do to scam her.

I don't suppose that she had to pay for this to be done.

You can stop anyone connecting to your computer by maybe disabling Remote desktop Connection.

or at least change her password.

Like this post  
chocolate cake

Likes # 0

THanks everyone, I think we're a little re-assured now. For information how do I disable "Remote desktop Connection"

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not 100% sure on XP you click on system in control panel then click on remote then untick what you want to stop remote desktop from working.

A bit vague about this as I have never tried it.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Have a look for LogMeIn or Teamviewer or GoToAssit programs. These are genuine remote software programs for use by IT support providers. Scams usually involve one of these type programs being installed so the scammer can log in remotely without users knowledge. It does not seem likely in this instance, but worth a double check.

Like this post
chocolate cake

Likes # 0

Thanks all, I've disabled Remote access and I think for now this is about all I can do.

Been an infrequent visitor over the last 8 years but have never failed to get helpful people responding. Thanks to all who contribute.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I should check that she hasn't given them her bank/credit card details, these scams usually sign you up a 'service agreeement' or take a one off payment to rip you off.

Like this post
chocolate cake

Likes # 0

Unfortunately they took a £150 hit on this.

On my advice she's now contacted all her cards of the possibility of being cloned and also has reduced the credit limit on one of them to £500 which I have advised her to use for all internet purchases after a brief period whilst I establish that all potential avenues for risk have been closed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ouch

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...