We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet connection disconnects on downloads / uploads

Vip3rz

Likes # 0

Hello dear forum members,

One month ago I bought a new computer with a pre-installed Windows 7 Professional package on it. Now, every time I try to download a file or try to upload a file (big or small files, doesn't matter, FTP or browser, doesn't matter), my connection disconnects for like 20 seconds and then recovers. This is what I already tried:

• Updating all the drivers for my motherboard, cpu, networkcard you name it..
  • Updating the BIOS to the latest versions
  • Plugging in a new PCI network card and using new drivers (disabling the onboard LAN)
  • Settings for my network card to full / half duplex, tried them all
  • Disabling 'save power by turning of this device' settings
  • Resetting the TCP/IP stack

The weird thing is that when I startup my PC in safe mode, the problem doesn't occur! I read on the web about a 'clean boot' (disabling all the services / startup items via msconfig and then reboot) The weird thing is.. on a clean boot with everything disabled the problem still occurs! What could this be? If anyone has any idea this would make my day / weak / year! =)

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H (using onboard LAN) Processor: i5-3570K

With Kind regards, Stan

Like this post
Vip3rz

Likes # 0

I made a list of all the active services in safe mode (where all is working fine without disconnects) and a list of all the active services during a clean boot (where disconnects instantly occur on downloads or uploads)

Clean Boot:

• Network Connections
  • Portable Device Enumerator Service
  • WinHTTP Web proxy Auto-Discovery Service
  • Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
  • Desktop Window Manager
  • Session Manager
  • Distributed Link Tracking Client Microsoft
  • Antimalware Service Plug and Play
  • PnkBstrA (game service, had the problem without it too)
  • Power Print
  • Spooler
  • Shell Hardware Detection
  • Superfetch
  • System Event Notification Service
  • Themes
  • Windows Firewall
  • Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
  • Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant

Safe Mode: - Microsoft Antimalware Service - Network Connections - Plug and Play - Power - SAS Core Service (anti spyware) - Windows Firewall

I tried disabling all services 1 by 1 to check what service is causing these problems. Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...