We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much is this laptop worth?

Pajltd

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm about to buy a used laptop from eBay (good condition) and I was wondering whether you guys could help value it.

It's a Sony Vaio (last generation I think) PCG-81313m Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20 Ghz

6 GB ram

600 GB HDD

Nvidia Geforce GT 540m 2 GB GPU

Blu-ray optical disk drive

Full HD 1080p IPS display 16 inch

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Skype-certified HD Webcam with digital microphone

I'm just going to use it for general work related purposes and some occasional gaming.

How much would you pay for this? Any help is greatly appreciated

Like this post
Pajltd

Likes # 0

Anyone?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sony Vaio what? Does it not have a model number in the ad? Or post a link to the auction itself.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Similar on Ebay for a lot less.

But is this the laptop I wonder?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The item is worth what it will get at auction or a 'Buy Now' price.

I have made quite a number of computer purchases via eBay, but be warned, while their are bargains to be gained, there are also some badly described items that people might want to sell. Always check feedback results, and protection policies.

If at all possible, try to buy something within reasonable travel distance, so you can actually see the item working, if the price warrants it. Most genuine sellers will allow inspection before the final date, and these same people will usually respond to emails very quickly. If the don't, then do not purchase, no matter what you consider a bargain.

Another bit of possible advice depends on the age of the item. Laptop batteries can be very expensive with a limited lifespan. If its a registered business seller, check any warranty and returns disclaimers. Private sellers 'might be' exempt for claims?.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I think I have seen the advert claiming it has an IPS display.

Sony themselves, only say that has a "VAIO Display Plus" and no mention of it being IPS, anywhere.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'