We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any thoughts please.

alan2273

Likes # 0

I recently had a friends Toshiba satellite laptop which would not shut down and kept locking up, to have a look at.

I ran sfc/scannow and that cured the shut down problem.

However I cannot cure the locking up problem.

I ran an AVG rescue disk to check for any virus and that came up clean, I ran memtest and that was also OK.

This laptop is 5 years old and runs Vista basic, there is no back up, OS disk or hidden partition so I cannot restore it to factory settings.

I tried to download a hard drive test and the laptop locked up, the same happened when I tried to install it from a USB stick.

I ran a live Linux CD and it absolutely flies along.

The only conclusion I can come to is the Hitachi hard drive is dying.

Any one got any other thoughts on this.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Download free by same people that do CCleaner. Amongst other info and tools it will show state of health of your disk

Defraggler

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you think that its a hard-drive problem in the making, then you might find some help with the following two links?.

click here click here

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looks like the second link is not working.Try pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

That's not working either?.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

This is the second link from spuds click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As its a old Laptop, my thoughts are the CPU heatsink is blocked. It need part disassembling to clear it

Like this post
alan2273

Likes # 0

Problem solved, it was not a dying hard drive, it was a badly corrupted OS.

Apparently he had been using the on/off switch to shut it down every day for the last few months and had corrupted the OS beyond repair.

I took the drive out and searched for partitions and saw on which was 5GB's and was not initialized, after making it active it went back in the laptop and a quick press of F8 and there it was the backup partition.

It now has a factory reset with 174 updates plus two service packs( which took nearly 8 hours to download and install, thank you Microsoft.), and works well again.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen