We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I buy another router or get another phone line?

Alison_

Likes # 0

I am after some help, I am not very computer savvy so need someone to steer me in the right direction! Currently my router is downstairs and my PS3 and laptop are upstairs using WIFI. Since having to move from O2 and their pretty good router, I had to start using my 6-year-old Netgear DG834G v3 router for my new ISP and since then my connection keeps dropping when I'm on my PS3 or my laptop. I bought an extender for my room so I could connect an ethernet cable to my PS3 but it kept dropping connection too. My question is, do I get a new router that can send a strong WIFI signal upstairs (through a couple of walls) or get another phone line put in my room and bring my router upstairs so I can connect my ethernet directly? I have ready though that routers need to be connected to the main BT socket but that's the one downstairs.

Thanks Alison

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You can only connect one router to one phone line. If you are going to go to the effort of using ethernet then why not just run an ethernet cable upstairs and terminate it in a 4-way switch (sbout £10), Then connect both bedroom devices to it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you don't want a cable running between the two areas, then Homeplugs are a way to go. The upstairs one can be a wireless version that any of your devices could connect to. An example of a two piece kit is here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'